!!! Coming soon !!!
Sign up for the YOUinConsulting newsletter here to get informed about this course module's launch date!
Entry | Module 1a — Become a consultant?
Wish or reality: Test your dreams and learn what consulting really is about
Contents designed for your success
- Take the job test “Become a consultant – really?”, explore the myths around consulting life and find out if the job will meet your very personal expectations
- Learn about the tasks on which consulting firms and you deliver, the consulting market landscape and the mega trends shaking up the industry as well as their implications for your career
- Understand your personal career path and experience yourself if consulting life is for you – perks and pitfall for real!
… and much more!
- Evaluate your interest in pursuing a consulting career by taking the YOUinConsulting job test
- Explore, debunk and validate the most common myths about dazzling consulting life that motivate you to take on a consulting job
- Gain a broader understanding of the consulting industry’s service offering and market landscape
- Understand what your individual career path as a consultant may look like
- Experience how everyday consulting life may play out for you from authentic and truthful project reports — with a twist!
In this first Consulting School module “Become a consultant? Test your dreams and understand wish and reality of consulting life”, we start by evaluating your personal motivation for a consulting job. As part of YOUinConsulting's job test, I exclusively reveal to you in a fun way the truth (or falseness) of the most fascinating consulting life myths, so that we can assess whether your individual expectations about the job meet reality, and, through your test score, find out whether or not you are born to become a consultant!
In a consulting industry 101, we will discuss what expertise and advice consulting firms actually offer, how they organize their services, and how the market landscape looks in order for you to better understand your personal opportunity landscape. Furthermore, I will discuss megatrends that are currently shaking up the industry and what these imply for you and your consulting career.
We then break it down into the different roles and responsibilities of individual consultants, which change and vary with tenure and specialization, so that you gain a perspective on how your individual career path may look like.
Furthermore, YOUinConsulting will leverage unusual means to familiarize you as early as possible with how consulting life may feel for you personally: through a series of authentic and truthful project reports you will find out how everyday consulting life really plays out — covering both light and shadow — to eventually find what consulting life certainly always bears: an exciting adventure!
Once you have confirmed whether you want to become a consultant and have gained a more holistic understanding of the consulting industry, I invite you to improve your odds of landing a consultant job from early on. This is the objective of module 1b: “Plan out your ‘perfect CV’ to significantly increase your odds of landing a consulting job”.
- 3.1 Myth #1: An excellent academic performance safely lands you a top consulting job (6:52)
- 3.2 Myth #2: Your learning curve is extremely steep (3:22)
- 3.3 Myth #3: Your career progress is determined by strictly meritocratic rules (3:13)
- 3.4 Myth #4: After x years, you will become partner (consulting firm shareholder) (2:23)
- 3.5 Myth #5: Career springboard management consulting: "Headhunter will chase you!" (1:55)
- 3.6 Myth #6: Forever famous - the aura of an ex-consultant stays with you for life (2:54)
- 4.1 Myth #7: You contribute to the most meaningful ventures in history (2:01)
- 4.2 Myth #8: Your work leads to change ("Impact!") (2:23)
- 4.3 Myth #9: You work at eye level with corporate boards (1:57)
- 4.4 Myth #10: You get to explore many different industries and business challenges (5:21)
- 4.5 Myth #11: Your day-to-day work is extremly varied (2:30)
- 4.6 Myth #12: Your work makes the world a better place (4:43)
- 5.1 Myth #13: "Join a firm with the best in class" — You work with top performers (2:26)
- 5.2 Myth #14: The academic backgrounds of your colleagues are incredibly diverse (1:56)
- 5.3 Myth #15: All your colleagues bring extraordinary experiences (1:57)
- 5.4 Myth #16: Teamwork is key! (1:18)
- 5.5 Myth #17: Consultants have access to a brillant network (2:49)
- 5.6 Myth #18: In the consulting industry, hierarchies are flat (2:37)
- 6.1 Myth #19: You earn an above-average salary (6:46)
- 6.2 Myth #20: An international career - you get to travel around the globe (2:45)
- 6.3 Myth #21: Glamor & luxury - you fly business class and stay in exclusive hotels (6:38)
- 6.4 Myth #22: Consultants work hard during the week, but the weekend is sacred (2:48)
- 6.5 Myth #23: Working as a consultant is perfectly compatible with having a family (5:27)
- 6.6 Myth #24: Consultants are (and remain?) fit, resilient and healthy (3:41)
- 11.1 Your roles as a consultant (1:40)
- 11.2 Your role #1: The (Junior/Senior) Consultant (5:13)
- 11.3 Your role #2: The Project Manager & Junior Partner (3:01)
- 11.4 Your role #3: The (Senior) Partner (3:33)
- 11.5 Further roles you can play in a consulting firm: Research Analyst, IT Specialist (3:37)
- 11.6 Your career progress as a consultant (2:12)
- 12.1 My invitation: Experience consulting life for yourself (2:06)
- 12.2 Project 1: First steps on the learning curve - cut cost in the countryside (6:27)
- 12.3 Project 2: Jet between four countries - for a continental infrastructure project (6:28)
- 12.4 Project 3 Walk through fire for your ticket to the Wild West (7:42)
- 12.5 Project 4: A dream project for a good cause: Save the world in 10 weeks! (9:54)